Monday, July 8, 2024

Sometimes it pays to haggle: Drumslinger 10" Marcher pad

I've really been enjoying my refurbished Drumslinger Percussion marcher Series pad. It's well made, has an excellent, consistent response that supports the kind of playing I do, and is very sturdy. With a 12" playing surface and a 14" base, it's definitely best used on a tabletop or in a drum stand. Mine lives in my studio on such a stand and it's been my daily go-to pad since getting it back in late May.

I hadn't thought about getting a second Drumslinger pad until this used pad showed up at an online auction site. At 10", it's smaller and would be a practical choice for a more portable pad.
Plus, while I love what Bill does with practice pad design and construction, he's not a young man and won't be making these forever. So getting a second Drumslinger pad isn't a bad idea for the serious practice pad enthusiast.

(Note: I have owned and used Rudimental Drummers Travel pad, a very nice, quiet pad which has an 8" head. I found that size too small for my needs, and eventually gifted it to a former student. In terms of size and design, The Drumslinger Marcher pad also resembles the RamPad Marching Series -- also a 10" pad but with a base made of hard plastic. The plastic base, while offering a lighter weight pad, simply doesn't hold up to regular use and transport, and while I appreciated the Rampad, I will never own one again. I'm happy to carry the extra weight (in a padded bag) in order to have a more durable pad.)

I'd been watching this online auction for weeks, and finally decided to make a move.

The pad, originally listed as a "Drumslinger Marching Corps pad" and described by the seller as "V[ery] fine", actually shows a fair amount of wear, including several significant dents in the head and what may be the beginning of tiny rust particles on the rim. I watched the listing and waited for a few weeks, then added it to my watch list. The next day, I got an electronic offer to buy it for $100. 

I checked Drumslinger's web site to see what a 10" marcher was going for new. The base price is $89.

So I messaged the seller and politely declined his offer.

I waited. The pad was relisted at this price, with a new listing title: "Drumslinger Marching Pad" (removing the word "Corps") and at the same price as before. It sat there for another three weeks, so I made an offer for $50, backing up my offer with facts.

"This is actually a 10” Marcher Series pad w/standard rim and fewer tuning bolts than the Corps Series pad has. Offer reflects this pad’s condition and the New pad price of $89 at the Drumslinger site. Thanks and happy drumming."

I waited. The next day, I was rewarded with an invoice for my purchase, indicating that the seller accepted my offer. My total with postage came to $64. The pad should be here next week.

I've already obtained a new Remo Emperor head to swap in. I'll dismantle the pad, clean it up and reassemble it. I think it will be a great pad to take along when I want to chop at length away from home.
(Photos from the seller's listing.  I will post photos of the cleaned up pad in a future post.)




In the end, sometimes it pays to haggle. Know what you are buying, know what it's worth and whether or not you can refurbish it to your satisfaction before taking the leap. And when making the offer, back it up with facts and be polite, even if your offer is turned down.

Happy drumming!

No comments:

Post a Comment