Thursday, July 18, 2024

Vintage Corner: mystery sticks

New to me. 

I bought a large assortment of sticks in order to obtain these two pairs.

I have no clear idea about the wood, maker or vintage.

Both pairs around 16” long.

Thicker set measures 18mm diameter at center of grip, 13mm at fattest part of tip.

Slimmer set is 16mm diameter at center of grip, 11.5mm at fattest part of tip.

Fatter sticks almost 80g each.

Slimmer sticks 55g each.

(On cheap postal scale)

Both pairs matched reasonably well in weight. Fatter pair matches in pitch as well, in spite of the repair. (I wonder if the fatter pair might be mahogany? They seem like the right color.)

One stick in the thicker pair showed a long-ago repaired crack, which was not evident when I tapped to hear the sound. I especially like the weight and feel of this thicker pair.

They are light in weight and I assume they were made for concert use. To my uneducated eye they seem like circa 1910s or 20s. I’m hoping for a few friends who are stick geeks to weigh in on more details.

I like them.





No comments:

Post a Comment