Tuesday, July 23, 2024

The Loneliness of the Long Distance Drummer

I love rudimental drumming. It’s one of my lifelong musical loves. There’s hardly a day when I don’t pick up my sticks and chop a little, even on the days when I struggle with depression and arthritis pain. There’s something about feeling the beautiful mathematics of it all that brings a sense of order to my heart and mind.

Living where I do, it’s a solitary pursuit.

Sure, there are other drummers here in Portland, but by and large slamming out NARD or Wilcoxon solos is not a hot draw. So here I am on a beautiful summer day, chopping out rolls and clams as cleanly as my creaky hands will allow.

And it still pushes a button deep inside that brings me a quiet joy.

(Crazy Army with improvised variations, on my Drumslinger Marcher Series pad.)

Happy chopping.

#diddleseveryday

#crazyarmy

#rudimentaldrumming

No comments:

Post a Comment