Tuesday, July 9, 2024

Make it better: Volkwein Music Tom’s Pad

I bought this pad last year upon the recommendation of a couple friends who love theirs.

Tom’s Pad, a beefed up version of the original Remo tunable practice pad, is produced by Volkwein’s Music that came out several years ago and which has improved upon the Remo pad in multiple ways

It has a sturdy wooden base, a metal rim and firmer foam stuffing under the Remo head. 

It screws onto an 8mm threaded stand, and that’s fine as far as it goes.

But this pad weighs more than twice what the old Remo pad does, and that’s a lot of weight to balance on a threaded cymbal stand.

Playing it on a tabletop, or stacked on top of another practice pad, is a viable and good option. Except that the base’s threaded receptor doesn’t allow the pad to sit level and it wobbles a bit on a flat surface.

So I pondered a solution. And I found it on another of my pads.

This is a vintage Ludwig tunable pad, a really nice pad in especially nice condition. And when I got it, I saw that the previous owner had modified it to solve the exact same issue, which presents on these old Ludwig pads when the original feet go missing.


So I looked at the Tom’s pad and decided that I could do the same fix.

I got some rubber tips from the hardware store, figured out the placement and went to town. The wood screws self-threaded with some effort and when I was done it solved the issue beautifully.







  










I sent the photos of my repair to Volkwein’s. 

Maybe they’ll respond, maybe not. 

But the pad sure sits better on the tabletop now.


No comments:

Post a Comment