Thursday, January 18, 2024

Little Bitty Drumkit -- Part Two

I picked up this snare drum three years ago at a yard sale for ten bucks.

It's an older CB700 wood drum with eight lugs, and sounds a lot nicer than it ought to.

CB700 was the budget brand for Pearl for many years. I used their sticks in middle and high school, and at least one of my high school band's snares looked very much like this one. There's no easy way to trace the serial number -- these things were cranked out by the thousands -- but based on the font I can guess that it's at least 25-30 years old.

The sound is fine, especially with brushes or lighter sticks, and eight lugs give me a winder tuning range than the six often found on cheaper drums. I haven't done much more than wipe it down and tune it up, and it's great.

I scored the Yamaha drum stand for free on my local Buy Nothing network, as part of a drum kit giveaway.

Amazing what you can find out there if you just pay attention.





No comments:

Post a Comment