Wednesday, January 17, 2024

Beginning again: little bitty drumkit - Part One

I had a really nice drumkit that I assembled with drums refurbished by Kaleb Shields at WestCraft Drums.

Being a full-sized kit, it required me to be able to drive it in a car to play anywhere.

Eventually, I sold it to a friend for his granddaughter. She’s playing it daily and having a fine time.

As I’ve winnowed down my excess drum holdings, I’ve had a hankering to play a kit again, but didn’t want to deal with the size and logistical demands of a full-sized kit.

So I decided to set up a mini-kit, using a suitcase kick drum, snare and hi-hat.

Part one: the kick drum.

I’d made one of these a few years ago during the early days of the lockdown. It didn’t work out so great, and in the end I gave it to a friend. This time, I decided to buy one professionally made.

I found this online, made by Side Show Drums. A nice solid kick drum built around a Samsonite suitcase. It’s quite simple and bare, but I can add some acoustic foam or carpet inside to muffle it a little. When I’m transporting it on the bus, the snare drum and hi-hat cymbals and stands should fit inside.

I really just want something I can accompany folks with, ideally singers, with brushes or light sticks. 

This should fit the bill.






















Next up: Part Two — snare drum.

No comments:

Post a Comment