Thursday, August 15, 2024

DIY update: practice pad station

A few years ago I scored some plywood, and got my brother-in-love to cut it into two rounds for me. I took them home, painted them and used them as platforms for practice pads.

One of them was used on a drum carrier, so I could add drumming to my walking therapy while I tried to recover from Long Covid. I used that for about a year in earnest, then less often as my symptoms receded. I stopped using it last fall when I could walk in a straight line again.  I sold the carrier and recycled the wood earlier this summer.

The other was mounted on a sturdy concert stand so I could put practice pads on it without having to funble with the basket adjustment for pads of different sizes. Changing pads became fast and easy.
I still use this today, but have upgraded it into a serious practice station in my studio.

At the time, I modified the second round in a quick, clumsy way. I was never fully satisfied with the result. About a year ago I upgraded the whole thing with better padding materials and a much improved installation of the angle bar. I added a stick quiver and have been using it daily ever since. But I forgot to share photos here. A discussion about pads on stands yesterday prompted me to amend the situation.

This old Hamilton concert stand is heavy, but strong enough to support a heavy practice pad, even on a tilt. I replaced the cracked basket rubber pieces with new aftermarket ones, and replaced the bottom rubber feet (one was missing anyway) with plastic champagne stoppers so they would grab the carpet better. I took a chain and used it to hang a drum key off the angle bar for my tunable pads, and taped the contact points so it won't rattle while I play.

The whole thing probably cost me about forty bucks in parts and labor, including the vintage Hamilton stand and the stick quiver




























No comments:

Post a Comment