Saturday, May 4, 2024

DIY practice pad, number umpteen

Is-it-a-pad, UPDATE.

So it wasn’t a practice pad. I think the seller didn’t know what he had. It’s actually a little stand for a potted plant. 

Since I paid six dollars, I didn’t squawk.

Instead. I turned it into a practice pad, using orange rubber leftovers from the previous pad project, plus a piece of thin tanned leather to make it a little like the Tackle Instrument Supply pad (which retails for over $70).

I tried using two layers of leather, then decided one was enough.

I’ve left the bottom alone. It seems to serve well as a nonskid surface. 

In an anal moment, I decided to improve the aesthetic by filling in the gaps with fast-drying wood glue. It won’t be any prettier, but perhaps it will seal everything just enough to make the components more stable. My DIY projects all tend to be a little rough-and-ready anyway, due to my lack of finishing tools and my impatience. 

I’m pleasantly surprised at how nicely it plays! And the rest of the materials were free, so it still cost only six bucks.

#diydrumming















No comments:

Post a Comment