Tuesday, November 30, 2021

Refurbishing, part two: HQ RealFeel Tan pad, Re-tanned

 If you’ve followed me this far, you know that there’s a high demand for the original, first-generation RealFeel tan pad by HQ. A generation of marching drummers came of age practicing on this, and they loved the feel and the response. When the company was sold to Evans, the new owner chose not to keep making the tan gum rubber version; the Evans version now uses a gray rubber surface that feels good, but VERY different.

I go out of my way to find these pads, often taking in old, worn pads that I can repair, refurbish and send to youth drum lines. Here’s the most extreme example I’ve come across so far. 

This came in a large pile of various drum pads, part of a home-made practice kit someone was letting go of. The rubber was in such bad shape on both sides, that I couldn’t save it. It was compromised all the way through (see photos).



What’s more, this pad had no non-skid material on the bottom, only bare wood. 
So I decided to replace the top and add a non-skid surface underneath. 



I had a sheet of 1/4” thick gum rubber left over from other projects, and there was just enough to trim size.
Also, I don’t own any fancy shop tools that would allow me to measure and cut precisely with a machine, so I chose to cut the pieces by hand using shop-grade scissors. It’s not professional/perfect, but close enough to be durable and functional. I then cut a piece of non-skid material from an old cup-stacking mat (available at thrift shops) and affixed it to the underside.the pad is drying right now under a tall stack of other pads and should be dry enough to play by day-end.

I will either donate this pad to a youth org or keep it as a student pad here in the studio.

With all the used drum pads floating around out there, and the number of kids needing a decent pad who can’t afford it, there is really no reason to toss an old pad when it no longer serves you. It can often be made good as (or better than) new with a little time and effort.

Happy chopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment