Wednesday, August 19, 2020

dreams and discipline: a promise to myself

Dreams first:

Recognizing that a great deal of what I dream of cannot happen because of the global pandemic, here's what I dream of lately:

-- A gathering of drummers meeting up at a park, perhaps at a large picnic table, to woodshed on solos and etudes (old school and new school), to gather around a shared love of drumming and hopefully to agree to meet up aggain on a monthly basis.
-- A group of drummers who'd like to make it a regular thing with the goal of performing at civic events (but completely avoiding protests), and to inspire other drummers to consider taking up rudimental drumming themselves.

Of course, there's also the fact that Portland, Oregon isn't exactly a hotbed of rudimental drumming activity.But this is MY dream, so I'm ignoring that for now.

I have this dream because I love rudimental drumming, I have a lot to learn, and I know that playing with others would help me improve faster than playing in the vacuum that is my home.

But since I cannot change the demographic, and I certainly cannot change the reality of the current time, I've chosen to take on this discipline for the meantime:

1. Beginning each morning with five to ten minutes of Rudimeditation, without fail. If I need to get up early to make time for it, so be it.

2. Begin working out of two books that I love: The NARD Solo book, and the massive collection of Charley Wilcoxon's All American Drum Solos (which is now back in print and available at Steve Weiss Music - you're welcome). Between these two books, I will have plenty of material to practice while I remain stuck at home.





I plan to work up solos one at a time and then post the ones I like the best on my blog, and also on YouTube. And I will welcome comments and enthusiasm from any of you who are also lovers of rudimental drumming.

This promise to myself won't win me any awards, and that's not the point.
I've been unemployed since the shutdown began, unable to tour as a singer-songwriter. I've taken a few online students here and there (for both drums and guitar), I've tried out and compared various practice pads and sticks and Even got to offer a drumline workshop (via Zoom) for a Honk! band up in Seattle. But I miss the regularity of playing with and for other people.
So this is one way I'm addressing that, while also fulfilling my need for renewed discipline.
It's good to have goals.
If you want to share your own drumming dreams and goals in the comments below, I'd love to hear from you.
Happy drumming!

No comments:

Post a Comment