Saturday, August 15, 2020

The loneliness of the long-distance drummer

I'll admit it.
I'm lonely and bored.
It's been five months since I lost all my gigs, and five months since I've been able to make music with other people. I haven't played with my community band since February, and don't know when we'll see each other again in a musical context. I don't know when our band will ever play together again.

I miss making music with and for other people in real time and space.

I have had lots of time on my hands, to think about what kinds of music I want to make, and why. Obviously, I'd like to go and play out again as a singer-songwriter; but I'd also like to drum.

I've pondered the possibility of starting some kind of adult beginner drum line, but without the politics -- just getting together and playing drums, street beats and corps-style drum features and the like.

But if those with years of drum corps experience can't get it together to start a bonafide Senior Corps in a pre-pandemic Portland, what makes me think I can do any better now?

The likelihood is that I probably can't, which is why I've hesitated sharing the idea with friends.

The truth is that, with everything so dire right now -- with racism driving people apart and politics becoming positively caustic, and a global pandemic leading to hunger, homelessness and worse -- I just don't know what I'm doing here.

Why am I chopping out on a pad?
Is it useful to anyone?
Or is it just wasting time that I could spend doing other things?
Sorry.
The pandemic is getting to me.
I'm lonely and bored and really miss playing with other people in the room.
..::sigh::..

If you're in Portland and reading this, and you have ANY interest at all in pondering an adult drum line, let me know by dropping me a note in the comments. Let me know if you're on Facebook and I'll reach out to you there.

Thanks and happy chopping!


No comments:

Post a Comment