Tuesday, September 5, 2023

A new pad. (The class ring I could not afford twenty years ago)

While winnowing down my pad collection, I've also been fixating on pads that I love and know I will use for years to come. In most cases, this has meant letting go of pads I no longer need and making playing space for a smaller set of pads I know I will use regularly.

In one case, it's an experiment and a bit of a risk, as I decided to order a custom pad for myself.
I really like the look and sound of the pads from Rudimental Control, loved the idea of having a US-made custom pad and decided to go for it. Further, I decided to get a custom pad that honors my alma mater, the work I did there and the achievement of becoming the first person in my family to complete a Bachelor's degree.

Working with Nissan Ballard, the pad maker at RC, I designed a pad that will look classy while still honoring my achievements. It's twenty years overdue, but why not? I desperately wanted to buy myself a college ring, but the cost was (and is) prohibitive. So this will be my version of a college ring, with the added bonus of being truly useful in my musical work today.

Here's the mockup. I opted for a very simple design with a forest green base and logo on a white Remo Emperor head. Nissan encouraged me to add something personal to be engraved into the bottom of the base, so I sent him a PDF of my signature.


 
The pad will be here in 3-4 weeks, and I look forward to chopping on it. At that time I'll put it through its paces and post a full, objective review of its construction and performance.
Stay tuned.


No comments:

Post a Comment