Sunday, August 20, 2023

So many practice pads.

I've been collecting and researching historic practice pads for over a decade. 

As you might guess, I've owned a lot of pads during that time. I haven't kept all of them; often, once I've gotten as much information from a pad as I can, I'll sell it or give it to a nonprofit youth band.
This keeps pads from piling up, and allows me space to accept new pads for research and enjoyment.

I am now in the process of winnowing down my pad holdings to a smaller number, part of a larger general winnowing down of my possessions as I get older.
Relax, I'm not giving up practice pads or drumming entirely. Not at ALL. But I live in a small house with limited space, and want more room to move around in it.

First big stack is being donated to a youth drumline organization. These nonprofits often run on a shoestring and work with underserved populations, especially low-income youth and youth of color. Any bit of help they can get goes a long way towards teaching more kids to play.

I'd like to invite you to do the same. Look around for drumlines and school band progranms in your region and see which ones need the most help acquiring equipment. Consider donating a few pads and sticks to them so they can get more kids involved. If you have expertise and time, ask if they'd like some help in drum instruction from a volunteer. The worst they can do is say no, but in many cases they'd be happy for the help.

most people who read this blog have more than enough drums, pads and sticks at home.
Consider spreading the wealth a little as we prepare for a new school year.

Cheers and happy drumming.

(Below: high school freshman practicing for band, El Paso TX)


No comments:

Post a Comment