Thursday, December 23, 2021

Vintage Corner: Fibes 2B sticks, late 1970s

I mostly played with CB700 sticks in middle school, and Fibes sticks in high school. (They’re what the local music store had in stock and they were cheaper than the other brands sometimes in stock.) I used the Fibes 2B size mostly for marching band, back when my still-growing hands preferred 5A for jazz and concert work.

Fibes was a short-lived company, founded in 1966 and owned for a time by the Martin Guitar company before being sold in 1970 to Jim Corder (of Corder drums). Fibes branded sticks remained on the market from the late 1970s through the early 1990s before the brand disappeared completely.

Just got these — a pair of “Power” 2B like I used in HS marching band, and a pair of “Band” 2B that the seller added to make a nice package deal.

The “Band” version is just slightly narrower than the “Power” version. Both have the short, stylized taper that evokes an earlier age, moving up into an equally stylized tip. I fear playing with the Power 2B’s because I can actually the slight difference in diameter in my hands and prefer the bigger size for pad work.

So they’ll hang out in my Grab Bag, for now, while the Band model sticks go on the wall.

I’m slightly embarrassed at what they cost, but glad to have them.






No comments:

Post a Comment