Thursday, October 28, 2021

Future Vintage: Vic Firth IMS10 drum sticks

 Sometime in the early to mid 2000's, Vic Firth released a stick called the IMS10. Designed in partnership with notable DCI drum instructor Brian S. Mason for the growing indoor percussion activity, it was smaller than most marching sticks used outdoors and featured an elongated acorn tip. Presumably, it was not a big seller at the time, because after several years Vic Firth stopped making them.

I wish they hadn't. It's a GREAT stick.

It is smaller, but no overly so; and it is one of the best balanced, most comfortable sticks I've ever used for marching. I also like it for some concert percussion situations where a field drum and/or slightly heavier stick is called for. And it's a great rudimental stick as well.

The first generation were made with black paint, Mason's signature and wood tips.









Later, an unpainted version was released, without a signature, in both wood and nylon tipped versions. It was a little bit lighter than the original, perhaps because it was felt they'd be a better seller in a lighter weight for a wider variety of uses.


Today, I have a couple pairs that I've held in reserve. One pair is on my wall display rack, and the other pair is in my stickbag, taped up and used in my community marching band.

It's a fantastic stick. Some folks remember playing with these back in the day and are looking for them again. I recently scored a bundle of 15 pairs of these, New Old Stock from a music store that's closing its doors. I'm keeping another pair for myself and I've sold off some of the others. (I have a few pairs left as of this writing; hit me up on FB if you want a pair.)

If there's anyone out with some kind of pull at Vic Firth, maybe give a shout out that these sticks still have a fan base and ought to be brought back into production. Because right now they're hard to find and at some point they'll be gone, Let's keep these from becoming truly vintage one day.

Happy chopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment