Saturday, June 13, 2020

RCP pad testing, day two UPDATED

Today I had some time to really hang out with my new practice pad, the Active Snare model from RCP. I ran it through its paces, playing both modern corps-style stuff and some of my old-school favorites from the NARD book, for about 20 minutes, adjusting the snare sound periodically to see and hear how it responded.

Then, I decided to take a closer look at the mechanics of the design.

Here are two videos I made of my findings.

Disclaimer:
This is a completely independent review by a daily drummer with nearly five decades of drumming experience. I offered this review in hopes that it will help improve and refine a promising product.
I get no bro-deals from RCP for any of this. I paid for my drum pad just like anyone else.

UPDATE: several days later, I am still enjoying playing on this pad. The rubber surface is among the most responsive and comfortable I've tried. I would be perfectly happy with a pad like this without a "snare" sound mechanism if RCP chose to produce one.
I also have a better understanding of what the pad was designed for, what its limitations and bonuses are; and I won't quibble as much about the limitations of the adjustability. I'm glad I got this pad, not only as a collectible but as a player. My only suggestions would be that RCP include a short instruction sheet with the pad that states their intended use of the mechanism and the limits of its adjustability so that the buyer knows what s/he is getting. Other than that, it's an enjoyable pad to practice on.



No comments:

Post a Comment