Sunday, May 31, 2020

drumming for justice in the time of corona



We are entering the second night of curfews here in Portland. The police have closed off access to much of downtown Portland and are telling people to get home by 8pm.
Being immuno-compromised, I can't join the throng of protestors anyway; but I still want to do SOMEthing. So in support of those protesting and as a voice against police brutality and police violence against black people, I'm heading to my local park at 7 tonight to play at full volume; Friends with drums can join me -- spaced and masked, of course -- and we'll lay down some beats for half an hour. (Because the curfew applies anywhere in city limits, and I don't want anyone to stay out past 8pm who isn't comfortable doing so.)

I will do this every night until the curfews end. Based on how the protests are exploding here and around the globe, I'll be playing at my local park every night until the police close that, too.

Video: Last night's curfew drum jam, in my yard.
A timid start.
With time, I hope I'll get braver.



No comments:

Post a Comment