Thursday, May 28, 2020

drum joy: The finished 15, played at volume

If youve been following my progress with this drum, I scored it many months ago and finally had time during the shutdown to take it apart, clean it thoroughly and rebuild it with new heads. Add to that my old, original Ludwig webbed strap from high school (I helped myself to one just before graduation, as they were no longer being used in 1981) and a recently-acquired Perfect Leg Rest, and I now had the ultimate drum to chop on.

Only thing was that it's hard to chop at full volmue when your partner is stuck at home just like you and the studio doesn't have any sound-reducing foam on the wall or door.
So when Sweetie told me she was running errands and would be gone "a few hours," I leapt at the chance to do some drumming on an actual drum.

I spent some time working up a new exercise I'd written, playing the Malik-styled practice "drum" just for fun. After filming a good take for my HONK! friends, I jammed on it for a good hour or so.
Then after lunch, I switched gears and picked up my great big Ludwig.
Even with only 8 lugs, wire snares and a very simple strainer, this thing sounds awesome.
I can't wait to take it out and march with UBB when the shutdown ends.

Here's a little something to enjoy: a compilation of street beats from the Pratt book, strung together with a couple of my own, plus the opening bars of the overture from "1776" -- a drum solo I learned by ear in seventh grade and have loved ever since.

At some point on another lovely day, I'll have to take this over to the park and annoy the neighbors.
Cheers! And happy chopping.


No comments:

Post a Comment