Friday, February 22, 2019

The Studio: a work in progress

When we first moved into our house the back room was used to hold Sweetie's piano, a Steinway baby grand from her grandparents.
Several years later, between jobs and hard up for money, she decided that she wasn't playing it enough to keep, so she sold it. The room became mostly a dumping ground for extra stuff.

Last year, tired of sharing the front room "office" with Sweetie (who works from home), I announced that I'd like to turn the back room into my music studio for teaching and composing.
Sweetie was relieved to get her office back, and I got some much-needed quiet space for myself.

Today the studio serves as both a teaching space and a creative space. It also allows me to display my vintage practice pads and sticks in a pleasing way that gets everything up off the floor.

I recently came into a collection of vintage sticks that required some re-pairing and cleaning. Once done, I donated the oddballs to a friend and created storage space for the remaining paired sticks.

I'm pleased with how it's shaping up.



























The stick displays are available on Etsy, and I like them because they allow the entire stick to be seen easily. The only drawback is that oversized sticks (think 4S or bigger) won't fit in the holes.
I'm looking for a very small, adjustable height student desk, like the kind you'd find in a school.
I'd also like to find a way to store the guitars in their cases, to get them up off the floor -- if they fit in a closet, I might stow a couple of them in there.

Coming soon -- more research on some recent arrivals.
Happy drumming!

No comments:

Post a Comment