Sunday, January 13, 2019

Why I started drumming again, this time: Unpresidented Brass Band

Last year I was invited to join the Unpresidented Brass Band, a community acvitist band here in Portland. It's a fairly small group, but everybody can play well.

I sat in with the band last spring and had so much fun that I decided to join.

Today we had a recording session, to contribute to a compilation recording benefiting organizations that are working for immigrants' rights.

Here's a bit of what we did today, a tune called "Welcome To The Party". We'll go back and record soloists on separate tracks later, and then the whole thing will be properly mixed and mastered.
(Today's drumline included two snares, a bass drum and tenors, playing second-line style.)


It's a great bunch of folks, and playing with them has inspired me to pick up the sticks and practice daily again. And I've enjoyed it!

I'm hoping to play out with the band again in a couple of weeks. Stay tuned.

No photo description available.Image may contain: 1 person, indoorLeft: Honest wear.
Vic Firth sticks, Ralph Hardimon model. A great all-around marching stick that I also like to use on the pad.

Below: me and Carl. We always have a good time playing together.

No comments:

Post a Comment