Saturday, January 26, 2019

Evidence of participation: UBB at Melt ICE Rally & Concert

The Unpresidented Brass Band took part today in a rally and concert at the ICE Detention Center.
We played in support of effortd to hold ICE accountable for the abuses against families separated and detained by them in centers across the country.

It was a beautiful afternoon and we had respectable numbers show up to play.
We wound up playing for a little over an hour, because the band scheduled to play after us was late in setting up. A good time was had by all. By the time we were done, I was done and ready to go home. I spent, an auto-immune terms, a lot of spoons. But I'm glad I was there.

We got on the 5 o'clock news, and were written up in the Portland Tribune. I hope videos will appear online soon.

Image may contain: one or more people and outdoor

Image may contain: one or more people, people playing musical instruments and people on stage

Image may contain: 1 person, smiling, walking, standing, crowd, beard and outdoor

I'm already looking forward to the next performance.
And my morning drum meditation now includes some woodshedding on really old-school stuff, like Three Camps and some solos from my old NARD book. I'm slow as molasses, but enjoying the relearning process thoroughly.

Below: Woodshedding on Three Camps, single-stroke and with diddle variation. (I forgot to take the repeats on the variation. Sorry.) 

No comments:

Post a Comment