Monday, January 14, 2019

Pad du Jour: "Red Dot" pad, 1960s

I got this pad early last year. It wasn't much for playing; the rubber had hardened and faded with age.
But I was able to research it and found a listing for it (upper right) in the 1967 Rogers catalog:

 

Presumably the red dot was intended as a target for accuracy. (I guess by the time you
d worn it off you maybe wouldn't need it anymore?)

Manufactured by JAB products, which I was unable to find any history on in my research. I'm guessing they made pads and more than one company distributed them. But so far, the only old catalog I've seen this pad in is from Rogers. (Rogers enthusiasts, feel free to comment.)

It's not the prettiest thing.


And honestly, the two "twigs" holding up the back side of the pad don't inspire confidence, especially if you play aggressively.

Still, it's almost cute in its vintage homeliness.
I'm continuing to look for earlier evidence of this pad's existence.
Stay tuned.
Below:
A little vid of what age-hardened rubber sounds like.



No comments:

Post a Comment