Friday, January 25, 2019

unpresidented brass band - my current drum jam for justice

Last summer, I joined the Unpresidented Brass Band, a community activist marching band that participates in protests, parades and civic events around the Portland-Vancouver area. We're small but mighty; our drumline averages two snares, a bass drum and a trio tenor. One of us will attach a cymbal to our drum so we can have an occasional crash or ride sound.
And we don't sound half bad for our size.

Here's a sound file from a recent recording session, an original tune called Welcome To The Party.

And here are some photos of my participation with the band since I joined.

Left: September 2018, Community parade for #metoo in support of survivors of sexual abuse, Hollywood neighborhood, Portland.

This carrier really hurt my back and I had to find something else.






















Below: October 2018, Get Out The Vote rally at Clark College, Vancouver WA

Below: Anti-Bullying/Trans Youth support Rally, Portland City Hall, November 2018. Note the upgrade to Dynasty Wedge drum and a more flexible May carrier. It's not perfect but it's a lot better.








I started out playing a Yamaha Power-Lite snare, hated the sound and carrier, and upgraded to a
Dynasty Wedge and a more comfortable carrier. Now I'm looking at an older drum of the vintage from when I marched in high school band in the late 1970s. (Stay tuned, I'll post pictures of that drum when I've fixed it up.)

Tomorrow I'm playing with the band at a rally and concert in support of those who've been abused by ICE while in detention.  If you're in Portland and want to voice your support for holding ICE to greater accountability, please join us at 2 pm at the ICE building on SW Macadam.

Image may contain: text that says 'TIME TO MELT ICE! HEAT VISION AN ICE RESISTANCE RALLY AND CONCERT 2 PM Jan 26th at 4310 SW Macadam'

I'll periodically post more updates from the UBB here.
I love playing with this group because they're tight and because playing for the community in this proactive, postitive context feels really good.
I'm playing for peace and justice.
And we will build this world from love.

(Below: the back of my band jacket. Look for me tomorrow!)

No photo description available.

No comments:

Post a Comment