Friday, April 7, 2023

I'm back. It's marching season. Feels Good!

I've been walking around the block with my drum pad carrier while I get ready for my first rehearsal with UBB next week. I can tell the difference immediately; no wobbles, I'm able to hold a pretty straight line, and I can last an entire square block without fatiguing. What a difference a year makes.

I've got my uniform ready, my drum is cleaned and tuned and I've written a couple of cadences to play between songs. I don't know how many drummers will be in the band this spring, and that's okay. I'm hopeful there will be a bass drummer and cymbal player at least; a second snare would be nice if they can play any rudiments. (Finding rudimental drumming enthusiasts in Portland has proven nearly impossible, no doubt owing to Portland's rebellious punk-DIY aesthetic. I've basically given up on finding anyone who wants to do rudimental drumming with me even socially.)

Weight-gain from Long Covid has forced me to improvise a new uniform -- not hard in this case, since the band wear basically any old uniform that's predominantly green and it's cool that they don't all match. I took an old vest and splattered it with green paint left over from our house painting last summer. It actually looks pretty cool. I'll add white spats and a green shako and call it good.
















The good thing about all this is that it has compelled me to relax about my drumming. I can be good but relaxed, not worrying if I don't play something perfectly every time. It's good to have one musical outlet that's chill like that.

We have a couple of gigs coming up in May, the Honk! West festival in June (which I may not do because it's RIGHT before my trip), and Honk! PDX in July. I'm hoping we can play a couple of street fairs this summer as well as the usual slate of protest actions the guys in the band seem to favor.

It's marching season again, and this year I'll be able to play. I'm happy.

No comments:

Post a Comment