Thursday, October 13, 2022

Pivot, updates and a cool place to buy gear

Since deciding to pivot to concert band music, I’ve found a band and will check out their rehearsal next week; and suddenly the universe is raining down crazy deals on used mallets. 
So perhaps I’ve made the right choice.




In other news, if you’re on Facebook, check out a group called Jon’s Third Floor Percussion Bazaar, hosted by a percussionist and teacher who also offers crazy deals on used gear. He’s also a real mensch and simply great to deal with. 

In addition to deals on used gear, Jon and some friends are also developing new cymbals, sticks and other items that they’ll be selling alongside the used stuff.

I just scored a prototype of what may well be their new practice pad, and I really like it. It is NOT a just a copy of a Vater/Meinl/Gretsch/Zildjian pad! Smaller in size, and with whitish rubber that feels drier and is more appropriate for concert than for marching use. I’m taking mine on the road this winter.

 

I also scored their first offering of sticks in Jatoba. They’re a little heavy but nicely balanced.
I’m waiting to take delivery on another pair in Purple Heart which I hope will be a little lighter.
Photos below:

  

If they turn out to be super-heavy, I’ll probably turn to John Crocken and order the Moeller sticks I’d planned on in persimmon. He just got in the last of his old-growth persimmon stocks (so I’d better place that order before I can’t).

I admit to being a little nervous about checking out the community band next week. It’s been a long time since I played in a wind ensemble, and that wasn’t very much fun (professional-level, Eastman-styled wind ensemble, with a music director whose ego poured all over every moment and soured a lot of folks. I lasted one quarter, just ten weeks and one concert, before bailing. (I learned much later that almost a third of the band quit before the board finally fired him and changed the name of the ensemble.)

I am hopeful things will be kinder and gentler with this group. Stay tuned.

No comments:

Post a Comment