Wednesday, September 21, 2022

Two years in: A report on life with my RD Chop Pad. (Still my favorite.)

A little product testing with the Rudimental Drummers Chop Pad:

The Chop Pad is marketed as an ideal all-around pad for concert and marching drummers who need something relatively quiet. Since there are NO vents in this pad's design, it's about as quiet an RD pad as you'll find in the lineup.

(I can tell you that my partner really appreciates that.)

Since it's useful for both marching and concert drummers, I've done some testing over the last several months, consisting of swapping in different heads to change the feel and sound of the pad.

The Evans head it came with was a Black Chrome model, a good solid Mylar head for multiple applications. I actually prefer Remo heads so I swapped in a Remo Emperor, to get more of an old-school feel like that from a 15 x 12 marching snare (the kind I played in my youth). The feel was spot-on, though the lack of volume was a nice addition when I started to chop harder. My pad came with a chrome stick-saver rim, making the rim shots feel "safer".

Then, I tried an Ambassador coated head, which tuned up nicely but the 12" surface was a little small to practice brushwork on. (The company IS called "Rudimental" Drummers, so I wasn't counting on brush versatility with this pad, but it was fun to try out.)

From there I swapped in a Remo Pinstripe head, the kind of head I would have marched in high school and community marching bands. It was still nice and quiet, but the response hinted at the fatter feel and sound that comes with Pinstripe heads.

Finally, mostly out of curiosity, I swapped in a FiberSkyn 3 head, the Ambassador weight version of the series. I liked the crisper articulation that came with this head, but it lacked the depth I wanted for rudimental practice. It was also a little louder than the other heads, which was surprising.

My experimenting is largely done, and I've swapped back the Pinstripe head as my preference for old-school feel with a more considerate volume for practicing at home. What I love most about the Chop Pad IS its versatility. Every head I use has its own characteristics and they can be heard and felt on the pad. This pad makes me fall in love with tuneable pads all over again each time I use it. I am winnowing down my stack of rubber-topped pads. 

Since acquiring the Chop Pad just over two years ago, I find I've practiced more often on it than on any other pad I have. That right there is as good an endorsement as any.

ANY tunable practice pad that can take a regular drum head is an ideal practice instrument, because all the experimentation and the tuneability of the head will help clarify your playing and help you clean it efficiently and musically. While I'll hang onto my collection of vintage and antique pads, of course, I will probably look to re-home all but a couple of my rubber-topped pads. After experimenting with my tuneable pads, there's just no comparison for me. 






No comments:

Post a Comment