Saturday, August 20, 2022

Stick modification achievement unlocked: John Crocken Parade Rudimental sticks, modified

Man, this is FUN.

I got some longer copper pipe pieces so I could modify and re-balance a pair of John Crocken sticks that are really cool, but too forward-heavy for my liking.

Here, in photos, are the basic steps:

1. Measure how much pipe to cover the butt end with. Crocken makes this easier by decorating his sticks with burned lines.


2. Cut off the pieces needed. I cut two from the same pipe, and then — 





(3.) -- then I removed the sharp edges so they pieces would slide onto the sticks easily.





4. Lightly sand the wood and the inside of the copper pieces.


6. Apply your adhesive of choice -- mine is a small amount of Super-Glue gel -- to the inside of the copper pieces, and slide onto the sticks one at a time. Hold each stick horizontally for a few minutes to give the glue time to set, before you place them somewhere safe for thorough drying.
I chose to install the copper pieces with a millimeter of wood showing at the back.


7. After the glue has thoroughly dried, you may wish to apply a cost of clear acrylic nail polish to preserve the shine of the copper. If you don't time and air will oxidize it and make it dull. Your choice.
Also, if you want a mottled texture, apply a second coat of polish before the first coat has dried, and use the applicator to mottle the finish.


In the end, I had a beautiful pair of handcrafted sticks, re-balanced to suit my playing style. And later this afternoon, I'll play.

No comments:

Post a Comment