Monday, May 31, 2021

How important is a miniscule difference? 1st gen VF Stockpad vs. 2020 RockJam pad

 We're heading into a mini heat wave this week, and it's already getting warm in my studio.
(I live in Oregon and most Portlanders living in older houses don't have A/C.)
Tonight, as a way to distract myself from the heat, I did a little contrast and compare between two pads I'm enamored of:

1. Rock Jam practice pad, circa 2020. This pad is made in China and sold around the world. It's shockingly cheap for a new pad, selling for as little as $10 including shipping. I bought a little stack of six of them during the shutdown last winter, looking forward to a time when I might take them to pad jams and clinics. I like the pad so much that I've kept one for myself. It's smaller by an inch or so all the way round than a Real Feel pad and weighs only a few ounces more. The playing surface is a gray silicon-based rubber that's slightly over 1/4" thick, mounted on a platform made from fine-grain, compressed wood and plastic laminate that's similar to Valchromat (used on Reflexx and other workout pads today). It has a nice rebound, good articulation and reasonably soft volume for indoor use.

Here I am farting around with a little bit of "Downfall"


2. Vic Firth (first-generation) Stockpad, circa early 2000's. This pad was developed by some heavy hitters in the marching percussion scene in the early 2000's. Using a gum rubber playing surface about 1/4" thick mounted on a large-grain particleboard platform. The first generation of these "Heavy Hitter" series pads (1/4" Stockpad and 1/8" Slimpad are very hard to find now, and very desirable among marching drummers who came of age in that era.)

Here I am laying down a little of "Crazy Army," one of my favorite snare solos.


I can tell you that, based on feel alone, there is very little meaningful difference between these two pads. The difference in feel is almost the same. The difference in sound -- specifically, in the pitch of each padbv -- has less to do with the playing surface and far more to do with the construction of the platform; if you were to mount the Vic Firth rubber on a heavier, denser Valchromat-style platform similar to the Rock Jam the difference in feel and sound would become almost imperceptible, even for experienced drummers.

I know I'll get pushback on this, but honestly I am not making this up.

If you've been dying to get one of the first-generation Heavy Hitter Stockpads, consider taking a break from your search and trying one of the Rock Jam pads. They're so well-made -- and durable -- that I'd recommend one not only to a beginner, but to any marching arts member who needs an affordable pad to take on summer tour.

I am only basing this on feel. If you're not convinced and you happen to own one of each, try it blindfolded, playing the same piece of music. The difference in feel will be small.

Happy chopping.

No comments:

Post a Comment