Wednesday, April 21, 2021

Vintage Corner: late 1940's WFL pad - UPDATED!

I recently obtained this from a woman in Iowa who had put it up for sale online at a very reasonable price. During the transaction I asked her for any information about the pad, and she told me it had been hers in fourth grade. She wrote a little note on the outside of the shipping box:

I responded to this note by asking her where she'd gotten the pad, and she told me her father had been the original owner. He'd been a drummer for a local jazz band in their hometown of Clinton, Iowa, and she gave me his name. She had no other information.

I found what appears to be a faded music store decal on the underside. Using some photoshopping I was able to draw out the lettering a little more, but found no links online to any music stores that were an obvious match.


 

 

 

 

 

 

I've reached out to the Clinton Chamber of Commerce and am hoping they'll have something more to share.

***UPDATE!***

I Just got this marvelous email from Janice Hansen at the Clinton County Historical Society, regarding the decal on the underside of the pad:


Good afternoon,

The top left of your practice pad says     Music Since 1885....the history of the music store started as the Jordon Music Company, probably established in the late 1860's.    The store was purchased by an employee, Charles Hoffman, and he changed the name to Hoffman Music Co.   The business was purchased in 1937 by Arthur J. Bender and named Bender Music Company.    The center inscription says  Bender Music Co.      Mr. & Mrs. Bender also owned another music store in Sterling, IL which was named Bender and Block Music Co.

Unfortunately, the business has closed.  I was unable to find a date and the building has been empty for many years and it is not in good condition.   There has been discussion as to whether or not the building is saved  or will be demolished.

Hopefully, this gives you some information on your drum practice pad.   
Please let the Chamber of Commerce  know we have answered your question.

Many thanks for using our research services.
Sincerely, 
Jan Hansen, Treasurer
Clinton County Historical Society

I responded immediately to thank her for her help, and to let her know her response is a researcher's dream.

***

Meanwhile, I made the decision to refurbish and stabilize the pad so I could use it now and then.
The pad had arrived with the top surface literally splintering apart, and the base wobbling just slightly.
By counter-sinking the nails a tiny bit with a very small punch, I was able to stabilize the pad. I also applied a little super-glue underneath at the contact points, out of sight. Finally, I carefully applied multiple thin coats of clear nail polish to keep the top side from splintering away further.

Since letting it dry and firm up, I've enjoyed playing it quite a lot.
Here's "Crazy Army," an appropriate choice for a pad of this vintage.

If I hear back from the Clinton Chamber of Commerce, I'll post an update.

Happy chopping!

No comments:

Post a Comment