Sunday, March 7, 2021

#drumgoals: Wilcoxon's All-American Drum Solos

I've decided to set a new drumming goal for myself.
Inspired by Kevin Lehman and his FB Group devoted to collecting recordings of each of the 150 solos in Wilcoxon's "All American Drum Solos" and having contributed a couple of videos to that group. I've decided to work my way through the entire book, all 150 drum solos.


The book is a masterpiece of short snare drum solos that range from reasonably easy to quite challenging, and which call on the player to get comfortable with each of the 26 drum rudiments as codified by NARD.

I began late last week and dove right in. I am having a blast. I read the solo through a few times, very slowly, then a begin breaking apart the solo in small chunks and cleaning it up. Eventually, the solo is clean enough for me to put it all back together and begin to play it at gradually increasing tempi.

Along the way, I'm reacquainting myself with the rudiments I don't get to use as often in my playing. And I'm acquainting myself with a wonderful collection of snare drum solos that will challenge me and that are a delight to play.

Stay tuned. The solos I find the most musical I'll videotape and share here.
Happy drumming.

No comments:

Post a Comment