Thursday, January 21, 2021

Product Review: Rudimental Drummers sticks

I was intrigued when Rudimental Drummers, makers of high-zoot, high-quality practice pads, announced the introduction of two models of rudimental drumsticks to their line. The sticks were the result of a collaboration between RD and Pellwood Drumsticks, another Dutch company; Pellwood manufacture their own line of sticks in addition to these models for RD.
So when the company invited me to try them out and write a review, I jumped at the chance.

The sticks arrived a few days ago, and yesterday and today I finally had time to hang out with them. Here's what I can tell you.

1. Van Haaren Signature model. (Length: 17"/Diameter .710"/Weight 95g)

This stick, named for RD co-founder Rene Van Haaren, is designed for those who do traditional drumming on lower-tension and/or rope tension drums.  Made from American Hickory, this is a seriously beefy drumstick. Even for someone used to the size and heft of marching sticks, these feel shockingly heavy. I'm guessing that this is because of both the size, and the additional weight focused on the ends of the stick (see photo), which may be useful when playing on lower-tension traditional drums.

The sticks are beautifully finished. The result is a clean, semi-matte coating over natural hickory.
Graphics are clear and bold without being distracting.

The large oval tips provide a big contact surface area when contacting the drumhead. If you're thinking about using these on a high-tension Kevlar head, well, don't. That's not what these are for, and you'll only end up hurting your hands and wrists if you try.

On a lower-tension drum, these sticks will provide enough mass at both ends to help you keep those big rolls balanced and even at every dynamic level.






For more modern drumming needs, there's the other stick in RD's line:

2. Cornelissen Signature Model. (Length: 17"/Diameter .710"/Weight 89g)

Named for RD co-owner Daan Cornelissen. These sticks, also made from Hickory, are a little smaller in diameter, and have more mass focused in the front half of the stick to provide the balance required for modern corp-style drumming on high-tension drumheads. The sticks are finished with the same semi-gloss coat, over an attractive walnut-colored stain and bold white graphics. I found these a little closer to the marching sticks I'm used to, but still a bit heavy. I like them but they will take some getting used to.

The acorn tips provide plenty of punch without overblowing the tone and articulation. They also offer a more modified bounce than a round tip will, meaning there's room for some shading on quieter passages (especially when playing buzz rolls).
These sticks are great for a higher-tensioned Kevlar head, but be aware that the shift of the mass and weight to the front half of an already heavier stick will definitely require you to slightly modify your approach to playing.






If you choose this stick for high-tension drumming, give yourself time to get used to it, especially if you're migrating from modern sticks like the Vic Firth Hardimon or the Promark Audesmore. The mass is placed differently here, and it gives a heftier feel overall as a result.

Below, a couple of videos checking out the two models of RD sticks.

And a note: In this day and age where pitch- and weight-matching are becoming expected by drummers, it is always a disappointment when sticks arrive and are not matched.

(This was the case, if you remember, with the Ukranian-made Star Marching model -- an attractive, comfortable stick which unfortunately played pitches more than a whole step apart and was a huge disappointment as a result.)

You will hear in the first video that the Van Haaren sticks I received are almost a whole step apart in pitch. The weight doesn't feel markedly different between the two sticks, but the pitch difference is noticeable. This may be less annoying on an actual drum than on a pad, but on my RD Chop Pad I can absolutely hear the difference.

NOTE: I shared this information  with RD co-founder Rene Van Haaren, and he was shocked that I'd been sent a pair of sticks that wasn't pitch-matched. He apologized profusely and thanked me for my honesty; and said that even greater focus would be placed on this aspect of stick manufacture going forward. I believe him, and down the road I may choose to acquire another pair of Van Haarens so I can have a pitch-matched pair.


And here's a video of me exploring the feel of the Cornelissen sticks.

 
 
Overall, I find the Cornelissen sticks easier to work with, and I anticipate a shorter break-in period with them. They seem fine on my Mylar-headed Chop Pad, and while they are definitely heavier then the sticks I normally use (Vic Firth Jeff Queens and sometimes the thicker Roger Carter models), they're not completely overkill.
That said, I think players with bigger hands than mine may find their sweet spot with these sticks and enjoy them a lot.

A caution: Because these sticks are already at the heavy end of the continuum, I would advise against taping them. Tape does add weight; even wrapping the last two or three inches of your favorite stick will change the feel and the mass. It may be that in future editions of this stick, RD may wish to use a natural finish, since the lighter color will show up better against most uniforms.

Another consideration: although the demo video at RD's web site shows the sticks being played with a few simple tricks, the heavier weight of this stick may make those tricks harder to learn, especially for younger players who are still growing. If anything, this stick may help make the sound educational case for playing musically and correctly first, and adding visual tricks later.

As for the Van Haaren sticks, I'm not a rope drum player, so I may choose to send these to someone who is and invite them to comment. It is unlikely that I will ever find a serious use for so big and heavy a drumstick. That's less a reflection on the stick and more a reflection on the reality of my smaller, slightly arthritic hands.

Both models retail online for €17,99 / $21.71 per pair, plus shipping. Considering that most American-made marching sticks retail for half to two-thirds that price, this is definitely a stick for the serious rudimental drummer, and not for beginning drummers who basically eat sticks for breakfast. It's a nice addition to the range of available professional-quality sticks, and I look forward to seeing whose hands they land in over the next few months.
Happy drumming!
 
(Disclaimer: I own and use a Rudimental Drummers practice pad. RD did not pay me to test and review their pads or their sticks. I ordered them online like a regular person, and so can you. I shared this review with the folks at RD before posting online, and they provided additional info about the specs that I've included here.)

No comments:

Post a Comment