Tuesday, April 28, 2020

I didn't plan on being here but here I am

In the wake of the shutdown, I lost all of my singer-songwriter gigs through at least July, and likely farther out than that. Since trying to hustle for those coffeehouse and synagogue gigs on the other side of the shutdown feels tasteless and wrong to me, I am taking a break from that space to focus on making some money in there present, in whatever limited way I can.

That has meant taking in bicycles for repairs, which has actually been nice.

And, a little to my surprise, it has meant taking on a few drum students periodically.
I've been working with a Honk! drummer from Austin one-on-one, for 30-minute lessons focusing on technique and rudiments.
And today I confirmed an online workshop for a Honk! band drum line based in Seattle, this will also focus on technique through warmups, a couple of DIY grooves the drum line can build however they like, and an approach to ensemble playing that focuses on groove and ensemble unity.

 So here I am, teaching marching drumming online, which honestly I never thought I'd be invited to do at this point in my life. In the current atmosphere I am grateful for the work, and for the opportunity to be of use musically.

I still have openings for a couple more beginner adult students. Hit me up on Facebook if you're interested.

No comments:

Post a Comment