Thursday, March 12, 2020

what is the sound of one drummer chopping?

Now that we seem to be taking COVID-19 seriously and everything is cancelling or postponing indefinitely, I must self-isolate at home for the foreseeable future.
I have autoimmune issues that require me to take some varsity-level medications. These medications partially suppress my autoimmunnity, making me more susceptible to infection than the average human. So after checking in with my doc, I'm self-isolating for at least the next two weeks, and possibly longer.
That means no band rehearsals, no gigs, no nothing with other people in the room.

What's a gal to do?
Keep playing.
Today I posted the first of what will be a series of drum videos, designed to help those new to drumming (especially in Honk! bands, which are known for not having many rudimentally-trained drummers) get a grip on basics of snare drumming.
I didn't know if there would be a need for it, I just needed something to do and a way to remain useful, so this is what I came up with,
Today's video was a rundown of a couple of the most basic drumline warmups, plus a quick look at diddles (double-bounce strokes).
I tossed it up on my band's FB page, the Honk! Bands Network page and my own FB Music page. And so far response has been positive. So I'll make some more over the next couple of weeks, toss them up and let people use them if they want.
It will keep me sane while I figure out how to deal with deep isolation and stave off boredom.

And perhaps in the longer term, it may help me connect with some good people after this mess is over.
Happy drumming!

1 comment:

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete