Wednesday, February 14, 2024

Repair: dropped Drumslinger pad

I bought this used Drumslinger pad last fall so I could have an alternate marching pad that was different than my Rudimental Control pad (which I enjoy). Then, a couple months ago, I was transferring it from a desktop to a stand and I accidentally dropped it on the floor. My studio floor is carpeted, but to my horror I discovered that I had dented the fiber wood platform. I added a washer to the tuning bolt in that spot as a reminder not to overtighten, lowered the tension all around and carried on.

Still, it stressed me out. So today, after lots of thinking about it, I crafted a stabilizer from a piece of old road sign, poked holes in it and affixed it to the bottom of the center portion of the platform.

While removing the head and hardware, I discovered that all that holds the pad together is the tension. The little rubber spacing dots fell out when I disassembled it. That surprised me; I had imagined something more permanent inside. When I reassembled it, I put a tiny spot of glue under each dot to hold it in place while I reassembled the pad on the floor.

It’s not pretty, but it is stable, and hopefully will keep the wood there from degrading further. I had thought of hammering the edge down so it would curve along the line of the dent, but decided against it. That’s why there’s a gap between the metal plate and the wood. (I may sleep on this and change my mind later.)

Then I put an old pinstripe head on it, to remind me to keep a more moderate tension on it. The washer is still there as a reminder, too. It’s not bad, and it sounds and feel better than before the repair.























No comments:

Post a Comment