Monday, February 26, 2024

DIY practice pad, parts four and five

DIY practice pad, parts four and five:

Sand lightly and paint first coat.

While that’s drying, create playing surfaces for top and underside.

Top: salvaged from an old Promark X-Pad.

Underside: two sections of mousepads, layered and glued.

When they’re mounted on the wood block, they should feel different.

#diydrummer

#makestuffoutofstuff


I’d originally thought I could do a second coat of clear, but when I went looking in the shed, I discovered I didn’t have anything else but the gloss black. So I did the first coat of the black early in the morning, let it dry outside until dinner time, then applied a second coat of the gloss black. 
For what this is and how I’ll use it, that should be enough.

The mousepad bits came from two different mousepads I had on hand. One, a thicker normal style, serves as the base for the second layer, a very thin mousepad with a plastic surface showing a map of New York City’s subway system.

When I laid the two layers together and played on it, I loved the quieter, yet articulate feel. So that’s the underside.

The primary surface I salvaged from an old Promark X-Pad. Once it’s affixed it will feel amazing.

I allowed the paint to dry outside as much as possible, but with near-freezing temps overnight, I put it in the shed tonight.
I hope the paint dries firmly enough by tomorrow night that I can add the playing surfaces. 

And, in honor of friend Berry’s suggestion, I’ll stencil the words HERO TILT on the side.

It will be on the heavy side, so in the summer it will make a decent door stop.
😂

Tomorrow: steps six and seven: affix playing surfaces and emboss with logo.

No comments:

Post a Comment