Thursday, April 4, 2024

Vintage Corner: A CB700 Time Capsule

I came across this CB700 student drum kit at Goodwill, and snapped it up to add to my CB700 rabbit hole.

It includes a CB700 “Internationale” chrome snare drum with the original batter head, a Gladstone-style practice pad, a stand and a pair of oak 2B sticks, all CB700 branded, and stored in the original CB700 “clamshell” style hard case.

Though used, everything is in good condition. The head shows some wear that indicates it was likely used by a drum student, then presumably put away in a closet before being donated to Goodwill. The drum sounds fine and needs no fiddling whatsoever.

Although it’s not a top-drawer kit, it is in good enough shape to be considered a kind of time capsule.

I predict that at some point in the future, the interest in historic budget brands will only grow as the supply of top-drawer vintage drums on the market shrinks. Maybe I’m wrong, but I think ai might be a little ahead of the game here. I’ve decided to focus on CB700 items out of pure nostalgia. This is the brand I played in middle school and high school in the 1970s.

I’ve reached out to the Kaman Corporation, which owns the CB brand. They in turn are now owned by an even larger conglomerate. The fellow at Kaman told me that the CB brand was purchased from Fender, so live reached out to them as well. And, moving back in time with each previous corporate owner, I hope to acquire some additional information about the history of CB Drums, and perhaps a catalog or two along the way.

If you’re sitting on some CB700 product that you’d like to rehome, please reach out and let me know.



















 

No comments:

Post a Comment