Sunday, April 28, 2024

Name Brand cymbals — affordable and innovative

I bought a set of Name Brand hi-hat cymbals a couple years ago from Jon’s Third Floor Bazaar on Facebook. They were clean, bright, and $125 for the pair.

Jon has expanded his cymbal offerings under the Name Brand moniker, made by multiple small, independent craftspeople. While Jon favors ride cymbals with a lot of color and wash, he also gets in some ride cymbals with greater stick clarity. And he kindly offers short video demos of most Name Brand cymbals on his Facebook page. 

I just ordered a 20” Rose Gold ride that offers that level of clarity and I’m excited for it to arrive next week.

Meanwhile, I’m using this old, janky 18” ride cymbal; and just added in a little Tom I scored for five bucks at Goodwill. I’m hoping to keep my kit compact and easy to schlep (though I’m not currently playing out), and I like how things are coming together.

I’m able to play for about 10-15 minutes at a sitting, a couple times a week, before my hands begin to hurt. I’m realistic and don’t expect to get my form of thirty years ago back now. But it’s fun just to be able to play at all.



No comments:

Post a Comment