Friday, November 1, 2019

new drum day, updated: 2000's Pearl ST "shorty" marching snare

I got this a few weeks ago, for a song. It needed work, cleaning and new heads.

Last night I installed the new heads -- Mylar top and bottom, and tuned it up.
The gut snares still need to be tuned individually but they're in good shape.
The carrier bracket that came installed on the drum is damaged (possibly in shipping? Don't know, don't care). It will make a nice paper weight once I find a workable replacement and carrier.

I may need to wait on the carrier until I get pad for another gig in late November. But I've got my eye on one that I think would work. meanwhile, it will be fine to sit on a stand and play at home.

Floating drum hardware basically allows the shell to "float" freely while the hardware holds the structure of the entire drum in place. When I installed the snare side head, I took the shell out to show my partner how the whole thing works; then, of course, I couldn't get the shell back in without disaligning the badge. I may try to straighten it if I can do so without totally removing the snare side head and rim again.

Pearl ST Shorty, 13" x 9"
Batter: Remo Powerstroke 4
Snare: Remo Ambassador snare

I'm looking forward to some quiet time at home so I can really play this thing.


No comments:

Post a Comment