Thursday, January 14, 2021

Last Chance product review: BOSO "Strata" 2B sticks

 I've already had a few things to say about my experiences playing with BOSO bamboo drum sticks in two different sizes (Marching and 2B), neither of which impressed me that greatly. Frankly, the 2B was SO light that it made me start to like the Marching stick a little bit.

Today, a friend sent me a pair of BOSO's 2B sticks in their "Strata" series, which are sticks made by laminating two different kinds of bamboo (BOSO identifies them as "dark" and "natural") together. The size and shape are identical to BOSO's regular 2B bamboo stick, but lamination makes the Strata sticks much heavier, and closer in feel to a hickory stick.

The sticks DO feel heavier, and a lot closer in weight to hickory. However, they still don't respond quite the same way that hickory sticks do, and I can see myself needing more time to become accustomed to the feel.

That said, they're a welcome change from the regular 2B's (which I ordered, tried, and gave away because I couldn't stand them).

These definitely show more promise and I look forward to trying them on my kit.

Below: a little video. 
(Yes, that's a first-generation VF Stockpad, and no, it's not for sale.)

No comments:

Post a Comment