Friday, March 29, 2019

Big. Really BIG: Vintage drum sticks

As part of a bundle of old sticks I purchased a few months ago, this pair stood out.

They were the biggest, longest pair of drum sticks I'd ever seen, or played.


They're so big that, with a diameter of 7/8 of an inch, they won't fit into the holes on my stick display rack.
They're so long -- just over 18" -- that when I play with them I have to completely readjust my approach to holding and controlling the sticks. These things are monstrous.
Here's a little video of me messing around with these sticks, and mixing them up with the ProMark Ardsmores (which I use daily for practice) just for fun.
The Perlmutter's are ridiculous. Seriously, you have never played anything like these unless you have a pair in your possession already. (And if you do, I want to hear from you because I want to compare notes.)

 

(Below: Comparison alongside other more conventional sticks. Top to bottom: Perlmutter gigantic, 1960's Slingerland 3S (marching),  ProMark Jeff Ardsmore (marching).



I'd never seen sticks this big before anywhere in my life, in all my years as a drummer.
So I've been researching them online.

 The only identification on the sticks is this name: Robert Von Deck A Perlmutter Inc.





















Searching under the entire name got me nothing but photos of doctors currently in practice named either Von Deck or Perlmutter.

Searching under Von Deck got me the same thing.

So searching under the name A Perlmutter got me at least closer to something related to music: Aaron Perlmutter, a composer of Yiddish theater music. Which makes sense since Perlmutter is a Jewish last name. Closest I got who's currently alive was an Adam Perlmutter who is, depending on which one, a guitar reviewer or a urologist. (I'm thinking of reaching out to the guitar guy to see if there's any connection to an ealier Perlmutter who was a music retailer back in the day.)

Then I looked under the possible pairing of Von Deck AND Perlmutter, Inc.
Nothing. Nada. More doctors and some whitehaired guys deep into academia (in non-humanities subjects)

I've spent about a month (on and off because, well, I have a life) trying to figure out different ways to research the origin of these sticks and have come up surprisingly empty. I even checked under Google Patents, under each name with and without the word Drumstick added, but again came up empty (I actually though I might since these sticks are likely at least fifty to sixty years old, and maybe even older).

So I'm not giving up, but I'm gonna toss it out to my readers. Where to go next?
I welcome your suggestions and ideas.

No comments:

Post a Comment